Scott Wendl named president of Iowa Association of REALTORS®.
Scott Wendl is a REALTOR® with RE/MAX Precision, focusing on the Des Moines metro residential real estate market. For most of his quarter century in the real estate business, he has been active in the Des Moines Area Association of REALTORS® (DMAAR) and Iowa Association of REALTORS® (IAR). That activism culminates this month with his installation as 2020 President of the Iowa Association of REALTORS®.
After about a decade selling real estate, Wendl says, “I wanted to give back to a career that had given so much to me.” He has served on the board of the Iowa Association of REALTORS® for a number of years at different levels. Following an application and nomination process, Wendl was elected Treasurer in 2017 and worked his way up to President for the upcoming session.
Wendl began working on legislative efforts with the association and says the projects that helped protect property rights and property owners have been the most rewarding over the years.
The 2019 legislative session was one of the most significant that he has been involved in. Last year’s First-Time Homebuyers Savings Account legislation was the result of longtime efforts to make buying a home more attainable for all Iowans.
“We also saw legislation that blocked rental caps in the state of Iowa last year and legislation that made remote notaries legal, which goes into effect in 2020,” he says.
All of these successes have come about because of the work of organizations like the Iowa Association of REALTORS® and its members from the across the state. But the greatest benefit, by far, is for property owners. Wendl says that is what motivates his involvement, and it’s why he’s taken such an active role within the organization.
He is a past president of the Des Moines Area Association of REALTORS®. During his upcoming term as statewide president, he hopes to get more REALTORS® involved in the organization.
“The best way to see their dues at work is for members to get involved in a committee or some other effort,” he says. “When they do, they understand all the ways the association is working on their behalf and on behalf of homeowners as well.”
Wendl also plans to continue efforts to help coordinate the various local boards across the state and to streamline services and communication so groups can work more effectively. And the Iowa Association of REALTORS® legislative efforts will continue to promote decisions that favor homeownership and protect property rights.
Wendl will be recognized as 2020 President of the Iowa Association of REALTORS® at the national convention in San Francisco this month and will begin his term November 12.
Not active with the IAR yet? Check out these opportunities to get involved.
- Communications Committee: responsible for public relations and communication between state and local boards and members.
- Housing Opportunity Committee: explore ways to provide greater access to affordable home ownership and rental opportunities.
- Legislative Committee: work with lobbying staff to promote legislative goals at the state level.
- Member Involvement And Visionary Forum: share ideas to promote member involvement.
- Professional Standards Committee: encourage a high level of professional conduct and enforce REALTOR® Code of Ethics.
- Risk Management Workgroup: keep members aware of areas of risk and coordinate plans of action.
- Young Professionals Network: provide education, involvement opportunities, and networking for young real estate professionals.